Step 1: Import a recordEdit
- Check for any existing records using 'Bib Search' / 'Talis Base 2' / 'All'. Do not check using the ISBN but use the title or author. This will alert you to other copies or editions of this work which are already in stock.
- Make a note on top of Order Request slip if other copies are held and at what classmark. Double check with acquisitions that additional copies are required. If so, write Bib ID on bottom right of order form and classmark and suffix of existing copies
- If we have other editions in stock use the same class number for the new work. Write this number on the order form.
- If you are dealing with additional copies use 'Local Protect-not contribute' - you would not be importing a new record for additional copies anyway.
- If no records are found then write ‘no records found’ in the top right hand corner of the order sheet. Move onto the next order.
Step 2: Allocate Dewey class numberEdit
- If a record is found, import it by clicking on the 'import button'.
- If the classmark is Dewey 22 write the class number on the order sheet. The version of Dewey used to create the classmark is given in the 082 field in the $2 tag, e.g. 082 ## $a346.66041$222
- If the number is not Dewey 22 go to the ‘WebDewey’ website and the browse text box. Type in the number and choose ‘Dewey numbers’ on the drop down menu. Press enter. If the number matches a number given, write the number down on the order form. If the number does not match, pass to AL Cataloguing. WorldCat or LC can also be checked at this stage.
- Acquisitions may have pencilled in a number given by Dawsons Enterbooks but this may not be correct. Prefer instead the number given on the bibliographic record as long as it is a Dewey 22 number.
- If there is no number given in the bibliographic record, go to WebDewey and check if the Enterbooks number is valid. If so use it, if not pass to AL Cataloguing.
Step 3: Allocate suffixEdit
- Take the first three letters of the authors/editors surname in the 100 field. If there is no 100 field use the 700.
e.g. Red roses for Jenny edited by Sean Dorman = DOR
- There are exceptions to this rule. Please also refer to Guidelines for suffixing
- Double check that the sequence, class no., and suffix have been written on request slip.
- Press 'Save' F9